Chapter 15: Hacketstown Plan
Section 15.3.5 Hacketstown Plan
(Amendment No. 133) Insert new section and text after Section 18.104.22.168, with new additional corresponding policy after Section 22.214.171.124, new text in green as follows:
126.96.36.199 Flood Risk Management
The flood risk mitigation measures and justification tests for Hacketstown are detailed in Section 7.19 and Section A.7 of the Strategic Flood Risk Assessment (SFRA) prepared as part of this County Development Plan (See Appendix III). General guidance on development management and flood risk is set out in Section 6 of the SFRA.
Additional policy after Section 188.8.131.52:
Flood Risk Management
It is the policy of the Council to:
HT. P19: Manage flood risk in Hacketstown in accordance with the following provisions:
Development within the existing residential zoning along the steep unnamed stream flowing in culvert through the residential lands shall be:
- Limited to extensions, renovations and change of use;
- Infill residential development and demolition and reconstruction can only take place in Flood Zone C.
Any future development should be subject to an FRA which should follow the general guidance provided in Section 6 of the SFRA and must specifically address the following:
- Existing flood data is indicative and does not provide flood levels. An appropriately detailed hydraulic model will be required to confirm flood levels and extents;
- The sequential approach should be applied, and highly vulnerable infill and redevelopment shall not be permitted in Flood Zone A or B;
- FRA should address climate change scenarios in relation to FFLs and potential mitigation measures;
- Finished floor levels should be above the 1% AEP level plus climate change and freeboard;
- The residual risk of culvert blockage should be investigated;
- Bedrooms should be located in the upstairs of two-storey buildings when extending existing property in Flood Zone A/B;
- Flood resilient construction materials and fittings should be considered if in Flood Zone A/B;
- Proposals should not impede existing flow paths or cause flood risk impacts to the surrounding areas; and,
- Emergency evacuation plan and defined access / egress routes should be developed for extreme flood events.
- Any development shall also be required to be built in accordance with Carlow County Council SuDS Policy.
(Amendment No. 134) Amend Hacketstown Land Use Zoning Map to extend the town boundary and zone land (1.9ha) ‘New Residential’ (to accommodate max 20 no. units).
(Amendment No. 135) Amend Hacketstown Objectives Map to include additional sites / proposed residential zoning(s) for consideration as part of the Infrastructure Lands (Vol 2- Appendix X).