Section 177 (AE) - Notice of Application to An Bord Pleanala for Approval for the Development of the River Barrow Water Activity Centre, Carlow Town
CARLOW COUNTY COUNCIL
Notice of Application to An Bord Pleanála for Approval
Proposed Construction of the River Barrow Water Activity Centre at Carlow Town Park, Carlow Town, Co. Carlow
Pursuant to Section 177AE of the Planning & Development Act 2000 (as amended) and the requirements of the Planning & Development Regulations 2001 (as amended), notice is hereby given that Carlow County Council intends to make an application for approval to An Bord Pleanála to carry out development which involves the construction of the River Barrow Water Activity Centre, in Carlow Town Park, Carlow. The proposed development consists of:
Construction of an activity centre comprising the following:
- 2 storey facilities building with mono-pitch roof containing changing rooms & ancillary facilities, storage area, drying room, showers, plant room, universally accessible facilities and 2 social enterprise units on ground floor with community space, training room and associated storage on first floor.
- 1.5 storey café building with mono-pitch roof & outdoor terrace facing south. Building comprises seating area, kitchen, storage, toilets and plant.
- Canopy spanning between facilities building and café, part covering outdoor seating area
- New public access from activity centre to Bachelor’s Walk comprising steps and seating area
- Single storey boat storage building with part flat, part raked roof to contain 3 separate storage zones with a social enterprise unit and associated plant room
- Alterations to existing vehicular access from Barrow Street with turnaround/loading & unloading area
- Associated car and bicycle parking split between 2 sites: A and B
- Public lighting to all pedestrian areas and associated car-parking
- Hard landscaped central space with boat wash-down area and associated surface water UV filtration system
- Site drainage works including connection to existing public foul & storm systems
- Removal of existing public toilet and storage containers adjacent the site and removal of existing trees on site to facilitate the works
- Site boundary and all associated site development works
A Natura Impact Statement has been prepared in respect of the proposed development.
An Bord Pleanála may give approval to the application for development with or without conditions or may refuse the application for development.
The Natura Impact Statement, together with Plans and Particulars of the proposed development will be available for inspection free of charge or may be purchased on payment of a small fee (which fee shall not exceed the reasonable cost of making such a copy) during public opening hours within the period 22nd October – 10th December 2021, inclusive, at the following locations:
- The offices of An Bord Pleanala, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1
- By appointment at Carlow County Council, County Buildings, Athy Road, Carlow. Appointments must be arranged in advance by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting 059 9170 300
- On this consultation portal.
Submissions and observations are invited relating to –
- The implications of the proposed development for the proper planning and sustainable development of the area concerned,
- The likely effects on the environment of the proposed development, and
- The likely significant effects of the proposed development on a European site, if carried out.
Submissions or observations should only be made in writing to An Bord Pleanala, 64 Marlborough Street, Dublin 1, not later than 5.00pm on 10th December 2021.
Michael Rainey, Director of Services
Carlow County Council
22nd October 2021