Project Tullow 2040 - Draft Plan
Open (6.00 p.m. 25th May to 11.59 p.m. 9th June 2023)
Tullow Town Team in partnership with Carlow County Council supported under the “Our Rural Future” Programme, appointed a multi-disciplinary team to prepare a Town Centre First Plan for the town of Tullow.
Please be aware that the visuals being displayed are SUGGESTIONS only.
The text accompanying each board gives the important information at this point of the process around the project features, physical changes and outcomes for each project.
As the projects progress over the coming years detailed design (such as parking spaces) will be decided at that point through further public consultations
In line with the guidance set out in the “Town Centre First - A Policy Approach for Irish Towns”, published by the Department of Rural and Community Development, the aim is to create town centres that function as viable, vibrant and attractive locations for people to live, work and visit, while also functioning as the service, social, cultural and recreational hub for the local community.
The aim of the plan is to create a vibrant Town Centre focusing on:
- A blueprint to guide a planned and cohesive approach to Tullow’s social and economic development in line with the Town Centre First guidance.
- Opportunities to make best use of the range of Government supports to rural Towns in delivering the Plan.
- Seeking to incorporate and maximise the existing assets of the Town including the River, its industrial heritage and Town Centre opportunities sites and the natural environment.
- A legible, connected and accessible Town Centre.
- Character areas and core principles around the unique elements and attributes of the Town.
- Greater pedestrian and cycle connectivity within and to the Town Centre.
Public Consultation Events
The project team have taken on board the comments/feedback received firstly at the Public Consultation Workshop event which took place on the 26th October 2022 and the subsequent online survey which was available from 7th through to the 16th November 2022, and undertook further work on the Plan in terms of developing key themes and high level project ideas.
These themes/project ideas were presented at the second Public Consultation event which took place on the 29thNovember 2022 and the subsequent online survey which was available from 6th through to the 14th December 2022, for members of the public to consider the opportunities the Team identified and evaluated.
All of the information, concepts, issues, concerns and suggestions gathered by the Project Team have been used to inform the Draft Town Centre First Plan which is now available to the right of your screen. This Town Centre First Plan is a plan informed by the people of Tullow for the people of Tullow and your submissions/observations are very welcome.